Monday, June 9, 2008

The wonders of crunch

Hey guys. I'm running on about 3 hours accumulative sleep for the past couple of days. I worked all last night in order to get my game as done as could be for the Second Annual Westwood Game Competition.

How do I feel?

Really freakin' tired. As for the game goes, I'm actually really proud of myself, and everyone who worked on the game. I think for 2 and a half months in a new language / development environment we did pretty freaking well.

My only real concerns at this point are with the path finding the game. Right now it's a bit glitchy and it actually really hinders gameplay. While I think the game is pretty fun, it needs a little bit more polish time to work out the movement code. One solution I came up with while working on the code was that I should use some sort of a graph / node system to determine which positions on the screen are occupied and handle collision response.

This is probably the opportune solution but I came up with it too late. It would probably take me about a week at least to gut all of my movement code, implement a graph system, and implement all new movement code based on the new system.

So here's the brightside-- While the game is finalized for the judges tomorrow at 4pm (and I'll be at my first day at work at a new company! :D), I don't see or talk to the judges for another week. I'm going to try and use this time to implement a new system. I'm really hoping that the path finding issues that are there won't inhibit players' (and the judges) ability to enjoy the game, but I intend on fixing it soon anyway so we'll see.

Alright, I've gone on for long enough. Here's the link to my page on the competition site!

http://2dgames08.westwood-anaheim.com/Harmony/Harmony.html

No comments: